Urgent gas leak in family kitchen
We received a call from Mrs. S.B. in Harpenden. She had come back from the afternoon school run and had found a strong smell of gas in the kitchen.
We asked her to open the kitchen and other windows in the house, and not to touch light switches etc. She didn’t know where her safety valve was situated, so she couldn’t shut the gas off – so for safety we advised her to take the children and wait next door.
We asked her to call Transco on 0800 111999 and we arrived shortly after they did. They knew that all Baker Smith engineers are Gas Safe registered, so they handed over responsibility and left the situation to us.
We found a fairly significant leak on pipework to the gas hob, but this was simply remedied. We then tested all the appliances and pipework to ensure it was safe, and once satisfied we left leaving mum and kids back into the house. All sorted within the hour.
Gas is something to be taken very seriously. But if you smell gas and contact experts like Baker Smith straight away, you can be sure that you’re in safe hands.