What is a Gas Safe Register?
What is a gas safe register?
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register (all Main-tracts gas engineers are registered). It replaced CORGI.
You should never use an engineer who isn’t registered and you have the right to refuse an engineer who doesn’t produce a valid registration card or who isn’t listed on the register. Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
Protect yourself from the dangers by following these simple steps:
- Trust the Triangle – only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances
- Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
- All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. Before any gas work is carried out always check the card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm • Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Check for warning signs such as lazy yellow flames or black marks and stains around the appliance. This could be an indication that your appliance is not working correctly and you should get it checked.
- If you suspect anyone is carrying out gas work illegally, report them to Gas Safe Register.
Being on the gas safe register also allows us to issue gas safety certificates for landlords and letting agents.